Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

It's the 1930s all over again folks...........

Solidarity!! Support our good brothers and sisters in Wisconsin!!

"Oh, you can't scare me, I'm sticking to the union, I'm sticking to the union, 'til the day I die"
-Woody Guthrie










"The labor movement was the principal force that transformed misery and despair into hope and progress. Out of its bold struggles, economic and social reform gave birth to unemployment insurance, old-age pensions, government relief for the destitute and, above all, new wage levels that meant not mere survival but a tolerable life. The captains of industry did not lead this transformation; they resisted it until they were overcome. When in the thirties the wave of union organization crested over the nation, it carried to secure shores not only itself but the whole society."  Martin Luther King Jr.

2 comments:

  1. Sensational post. Earlier this evening my teenage daughters and I watched a DVD on Howard Zinn - I always try to suppliment their education with progressive information not taught in schools, although I must say they have some great progressive teachers, unlike many other parts of this crumbling nation of ours. Greetings from Jack the Bellboy in California.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm lucky that I belong to a very progressive Catholic parish, where my daughter also attends school, here in Chicago. They try to install in children the need for compassion and social justice in the tradition of the late Dorothy Day, and the Catholic Worker Party. :)

    ReplyDelete