Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The "Am I blue" list....(in the continuing series of favourite songs posts)

Am I blue? not when I hear this song :) 

"Am I Blue?" is a song written by Harry Akst and Grant Clarke in 1929, and was a big hit that year for Ethel Waters. It has become a standard, recorded hundreds of times by numerous artists since its initial appearance. 

A few versions:

Billy Fury
Ricky Nelson
Annette Hanshaw
Carmen McRae/Betty Carter
Dinah Washington
Ethel Waters
Helen Richards
Helge Lindberg Orch, V=Hilmer Borgeling
Hoagy Carmichael and Lauren Bacall
Jean DePayne (Organist)
Al Jolson w/ the Lou Brig Orch. (24 Feb 1949 Kraft music Hall b'cast)
Lou Gold Orch as Yankee Ten Orch, V=Scrappy Lambert
Ruth Brown
Sons of the west
The Broadcast Dance Orchestra

http://www.mediafire.com/?2fxhph2g93b5230

2 comments:

  1. In my head, I can hear my father blasting this song in the living room of our Etobicoke (suburban Toronto) house...by Little Jimmy Rushing on Mr. 5X5, singing along, drinking brandy, telling lies about another time. He seriously loved that record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite version is still Hoagy Carmichael with Lauren Bacall, from "To have and have not". I fell in love with that film as a kid. I actually have a recording somewhere of myself singing that and playing the tenor guitar, with a friend on piano...probably fueled by something much stronger than brandy, as I recall(barely) >:0

    ReplyDelete