Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

David Sylvian 1984-"Brilliant Trees"

Today I am posting an album that has been a long time favourite. I was a huge fan of the band, Japan. Later, when David Sylvian started doing collaborative and solo work, I have continued following and enjoying his work. His first solo recording, following the breakup of Japan, is the 1984, "Brilliant Trees". Coming not long after of one of Japan's best albums, the 1982 "Tin Drum", this is quite a stylistic departure from their sound. This has been an album that never gets tired for me...I return to it over and over again. I've been listening to it again lately, quite often....so here it is....enjoy.

Here's the link:

http://www.4shared.com/file/HFlv8LcB/sylvian.html

Here's the track list:

Pulling Punches
The Ink in the Well
Nostalgia
Red Guitar
Weathered Wall
Backwaters
Brilliant Trees

4 comments:

  1. Well, this is a departure ,,,, a blast from the more RECENT past! I thought you were supposed to be an anachronistic being!

    I have to say (FWIW) I like parts of this album very much, other parts not so much, some not really. I know it well, bought it at the time.

    For me, "Red Guitar" and "Ink in the Well" are classic standouts.

    Personally speaking (and of course it's all subjective, etc.), I grew a bit weary of the slightly preciously world-weary element of Mr Batt's output after Japan. Melancholia is one thing - can even be a creative position, as Dowland and Duerer showed. But not if you let it get TOO wistfully wishy-washily worn out by life! :D Which was how it started to sound to me. (But then, I didn't like "Ghosts", one of Japan's best-known songs, for similar reasons. Sylvian had (has?) a good voice - pity to let it become a parody of itself, I thought.)

    I missed Mick Karn's bass and other instruments, especially in the albums after this one.

    Again, this is just a view. :--O


    And I am aware I am sounding a bit sour.

    So a big THANK YOU for all your labour of love in launching all of these on the great Interweb in the Sky. There's been some great stuff! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unusual. He can be a little tedious and self indulgent in his work. It think I like it because it brings to mind the period that it came out in for me. My brother is a drummer and was a fan of Japan in high school. I hated them....I was playing a lot of mandolin and Dobro at the time, and my interest was in acoustic jazz and newgrass. I didn't get into any contemporary stuff until college, so I guess this LP reminds me of that discovery

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that also makes sense! :D

    Presumably you like Psychograss, Edgar Meyer's associates, Sam Bush, that sort of thing? Or have you moved on from the plucking roots?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moved on a bit. Sometimes a little bit of older Grisman Quintet, Tony Rice, Alison Kraus...that sorta thing.

    ReplyDelete